Filipino Chicken Adobo
Every other Friday we will be posting an online video and recipe for a different meal, looking at how to make it and the history behind it. Episodes are posted online on Youtube!
On Friday, June 18th we'll be learning about Filipino Chicken Adobo
Hosted by Mel and Abel.
Mabuhay! We’re Mel and Abel, and we’re here to show you how to cook one of the most popular Filipino dishes, Chicken Adobo! This recipe is super easy, it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients (which makes it very affordable), and most importantly, it’s delicious!
Chicken Adobo is essentially chicken legs/thighs braised in a mixture of soy sauce and vinegar, flavoured with fresh onion and garlic, and then served with rice.
12 chicken legs/thighs
½ large onion (thinly sliced)
5 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
3 bay leaves
1 tsp canola oil
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp sugar (optional)
5 cups rice
5 cups water
- In a large skillet, add the canola oil and sauté the onions and garlic over medium high heat.
- Once the onions soften up, add the chicken and let them cook until both sides are golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar and water. Pour the mixture into the skillet and then let the chicken cook for another for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pepper and the bay leaves, and simmer for 30 minutes.
OPTIONAL: Add sugar for sweeter preference.
- Serve with rice.
How to cook rice:
- In a pot, add the measured rice and some water, stir it around and then drain the water. Repeat this process until the water is clear.
- Add the measured water and cover the pot.
- Cook over medium high heat for approximately five minutes. Once the water reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low.
- After the 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest for an additional five minutes.
IMPORTANT: Do not remove the lid at any point during the cooking process. The steam will help cook the rice and keep it moist.
Join the Club to get the video and recipe sent to your inbox
Check out our Youtube Channel for the episodes
Want a free box of ingredients for the recipe? Food boxes will be available each week for pickup at the Central Hub, while supplies last. Reach out to Melvin at email@example.com to learn more and reserve a box.
Thanks to our partners for making this happen!