Costa Rican Gallo Pinto
Every other Friday we will be posting an online video and recipe for a different meal, looking at how to make it and the history behind it. Episodes are posted online on Youtube!
On Friday, July 30th we'll be learning how to cook Philly Cheese Steak Inspired Sloppy Joes.
Hosted by Carolina Meneses
- 2 tablespoons light-tasting oil (vegetable, mild olive, canola)
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 small yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups cooked black beans , in 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid*
- 1/4 cup Salsa Lizano **
- 3 cups cooked rice , preferably, day-old and refrigerated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Sauté chopped bell pepper and onions until peppers are soft and onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add black beans, reserved cooking liquid, and Salsa Lizano, stirring to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened and a little bit of the liquid is evaporated. Gently stir in cooked rice and cook until heated through and most of the liquid is absorbed, but not dry, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro. Season to taste with additional Salsa Lizano (we added about a tablespoon extra).
Join the Club to get the video and recipe sent to your inbox
Check out our Youtube Channel for the episodes
Want a free box of ingredients for the recipe? Food boxes will be available each week for pickup at the Central Hub, while supplies last. Reach out to Melvin at email@example.com to learn more and reserve a box.
Thanks to our partners for making this happen!